According the the Webster 1828 dictionary, the word influence is derived from the Latin words influens, influo – meaning to flow in.
As a noun it means to have influence on or in a person. As a verb it means to move another person to action by affecting her/his mind or will.
I love godly influence. I deeply desire to be moved closer to the Lord by the “in flow” of others, and in turn, I am honored when I have the privilege of being an influence.
It is weighty to realize that we influence others whether that is our motive or not:
- Speaking of not speaking
- Taking action or not taking action
- Praying or not praying
- Loving or withholding love
- Giving or withholding the gift
Questions to consider:
- How am I using my influence? Lord, show me how to influence my inner circle and ultimately those beyond my generation. Show me how can I influence today.
- Who influences me? How?
- Do I welcome or resist the influence (the “flow in”) of the Holy Spirit?
Susan’s journal, recorded 5/4/11
One thought on “influence”
Susan ~ these questions are critical in many areas of life … thank you for sharing this and many other insightful, wise questions and information I have appreciated so much